Day 46: Window Treatment

The new curtain - really whipped out my sewing skills for this.

The new curtain – really whipped out my sewing skills for this.

Another busy day getting things done around the house.  I will be really happy to finish the bathroom project by the end of the weekend.  I think Pumpkin will be glad too – he’s starting to look very irritated that we’re always in his room messing things up.  If you have a cat you will understand how mad they can get, without even being able to talk.  It’s pretty impressive!

Today we worked on painting the window white – it was previously a varnished wood.  I didn’t get a picture before we started . John got a little crazy and started before I had a chance to get in there with my camera.  He’s really getting into the spirit of Pinterest!

I had spotted a a picture of a cute curtain back around the time I started this whole project.  Here’s the link:  http://southgateresidential.blogspot.com/2011/02/diy-ribbon-edged-roman-shades.html.  I really liked the look of this curtain, but after some consultation with my good friend Therese (she’s a professional seamstress) I decided that this style wouldn’t really work for my situation.  I was worried that all the raising and lowering of the blind would result in a lot of twisted cords and general unhappiness.

I found a shower curtain on sale at TJ Maxx that I thought would be a good starting point.  I cut it to the correct size, using as many of the finished edges as possible – I hate to do any unnecessary sewing.  Then I pulled out my box of ribbons and leftover trims.  I found three that I thought would work, so I sewed them all on at the bottom of the curtain.  I even got out my serger, which hasn’t seen the light of day for a couple of years.  I managed to get it threaded, which is no easy feat even if you are in practice.  This allowed me to finish the edges without doing a bunch of folding and pressing.

Closeup of my crafty curtain project.

Closeup of my crafty curtain project.

At this point, we needed to run to the store to get a curtain rod.  This ended up taking about four hours and we got so hungry about halfway thru that we had to stop for dinner.  The good news is that I got a lot of things that I need for next week’s upcoming projects.

We got everything hung up, including a frame that I filled with a picture I cut out of my favorite Pottery Barn catalog.  It’s hard to see, but it turned out pretty cute.

As much of the room as I could fit into the picture.

As much of the room as I could fit into the picture.

So, this room is FINISHED!  It’s great to cross another big project off the list.  Here’s hoping that I figure out what to do next and am able to convince Big Daddio that it’s a good idea.

Have a great weekend!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s