Today’s post is a little late – I apologize to anyone who may have been waiting impatiently to see what I’ve been up to. Although I hope you all have better things to do than sit around waiting to see my Pinterest blog! I am not late posting because I haven’t been doing anything, but rather that I’ve been doing a lot of things.
Big Daddio and I spent a lot of time (like over 2 hours) at Lowe’s this afternoon picking out things for our bathroom facelift. Now I understand why people say it’s so exhausting to make decisions about building a whole house. I only had to pick out paint, some lights and a few fixtures and I had to come home and take a nap. It’s one thing to just generally think about doing one of these projects, but when it comes down to actually making the decision I’m not very good.
We did manage to pick out paint for our vanity and got started on the actual painting today. Unfortunately, it will be a couple of days until I can show the finished project. My husband insists on all kinds of steps in the process – like priming and double coating things. If it was up to me, I’d slap that paint on and we’d be done by now. So I guess it’s a good thing it’s not up to me.
Once I realized that the vanity wasn’t going to be finished in time to serve as my project of the day, I had to come up with another idea fast. As usual, this is where things got interesting. Because I started out with the idea of making this cute little rosette thing out of rick rack. You could then attach it to a headband or a clip or something and use it to make a hairless baby look more gender specific. It wasn’t a very ambitious project, but it looked easy and I had leftover rick rack from the blanket project.
Once I got going on the project, I looked over at the extra fabric from the blanket and it seemed to be calling to me. Something like “make me into a cute hat for the baby!” At least that’s what I thought I heard. At first I had the notion to dream up my own design, but sanity prevailed and I decided to look on, you guessed it, Pinterest for a pattern or at least a good idea. I saw lots of cute knitted hats but figured I didn’t have time for that. So I finally settled on the tulip-hat that you see in the picture above.
The pattern for this come from a really, really cute site called “The Cottage Home”. Oh, my gosh – she has some really adorable things and I think I’m going to have to try several more of her patterns. This time I tried the Tulip Petal Sun Hat: http://thecottagehome.blogspot.com/2012/04/tulip-petal-sun-hat-pattern-and.html?m=1
It was a fairly easy process – just cut a bunch of little pieces (you can download the piece and print), sew everything together and Ta Da – you have a cute hat for a baby. And it’s kind of funny, which will appeal to my daughter who says she wants all of her baby’s clothes to be funny. Which has me a little worried!
At the end, I was able to attach my little rosette (which is where this whole thing started) to the top of the hat to add to the funniness factor. I have added the link for the rosette, but I have to say that I’m not sure I’d mess around with that again. I’d probably just go to the store and look for one that was already made. And just to warn you, the site is in Chinese so you have to work from the pictures. My finished product didn’t look like the picture, but it wasn’t too bad. Rick rack rosette: http://www.duitang.com/people/mblog/46568845/detail/
So that’s it for today. I have to get back to painting. I’ll be back with another exciting project tomorrow.