Day 4: Wine Cork Magnets

Wine Magnets in action on my refrigerator

Wine Magnets in action on my refrigerator

It’s day four and as I mentioned yesterday, Friday is not the most productive day for me.  As it turns out, we are going to a basketball game this evening at the local high school.  A good friend is the STAR of the team (go Keith!) and it’s really fun to go and cheer with our friends.  After that we are going out to have a glass of wine with some folks.  Which all sounds like a lot of fun, but puts me (as an internationally-known blogger) in a bit of a dilemma.  I only have about an hour after work and I really have to scramble to get my project done today.  I guess it’s good practice because I’m sure there will be plenty of other days like this during the year.

I decided on a project that looked really easy, cheap and simple (remember what I said about this kind of project in my earlier post, but I really didn’t think I could go wrong with this).   It comes from a post on how to make refrigerator magnets out of a wine cork.  I know it’s kind of a small project, but I really do need some cute magnets. Also, my husband is a hobbyist wine maker so it is an appropriate project for our house.  I’ve tried to stay away from too much of that wine and vine stuff, but I think these will be fun.

Magnet-making supplies

Magnet-making supplies

All that’s needed are whatever number of corks you want to use, some Gorilla Glue and a magnet strip.  I think it would be really fun to make these from corks you get from a special occasion wine, but for now I’m just settling for whatever I could find around the house.  I did have to stop off at Michael’s on the way home from work to pick up the magnet strips and that stop ended up costing rather a LOT more money than I had planned.  But I’m sure I’ll use all those great supplies in the near future.

Before I started the cutting and gluing, I tried a trick from another Pinterest post that suggested boiling the corks for 10 minutes makes them easier to cut.  I can’t actually vouch for this being true since I didn’t cut any that I hadn’t boiled, but they weren’t hard to work with so it may have worked.

After cutting these with one of the afore-mentioned “good” knives and managing to not slice my finger off, I just glued the magnets to the back using some Gorilla glue and clamped them in place.  Now that they have dried, they seem to be perfectly serviceable refrigerator magnets!  As I said, I would like to make them from a special cork such as one of the bottles my husband made to serve at our daughter’s wedding last year and I’ll think I’ll try that as soon as one becomes available.

Since this is a pretty simple project and I don’t want my followers to feel cheated, I’m going to let you in on another project I did today that was not found on Pinterest, but works very well nonetheless.  My daughter Brooke came to me with two boots on which the sole and heel had come loose.  I have previously fixed boots in similar condition for her with great success using the same Gorilla Glue that I used for the cork project.  The glue works with moisture, so you just get the surfaces somewhat damp, put the glue on and wipe off any excess (try to not get any excess on the outside of the boot because it doesn’t come of super easily).  Then you just get a clamp from your husband and use it to hold everything together overnight.  I did this with another pair of boots in the fall and she’s been wearing them ever since.

Broken boots.  The other one came loose at the heel

Broken boots. The other one came loose at the heel

Boots with clamp - leave on overnight

Boots with clamp – leave on overnight

One final thought – I wanted to mention that I got a new hair dryer yesterday.   If you know me at all, you know that my hair and I have always had an uneasy relationship.  One whiff of humidity and my hair turns into a cross between Bozo and Rosanne-Rosanna-Dana!  It has always been a daily struggle and I’m not often the winner.

Lately I’ve noticed that my hair dryer has been losing strength.  As in – it would probably be just about as effective to have someone stand behind me and blow on my head.  So when I received an Amazon gift card from my Secret Santa at work, I knew what I needed to order.  I checked thru the reviews and decided on the BaBlyss Pro.  It arrived yesterday and I gave it a try this morning.  It works great –  it’s fast and I really feel like my hair is smoother and less frizzy.  So I would recommend treating yourself if you are using a “substandard” dryer.

My new go-to hair product

My new go-to hair product

Also, I bought a product when I was in Florida called Living Proof Prime Style Extender. It was described as a “primer” for your hair.  I’ve been using it and noticed that even in Florida, where humidity is my mortal enemy, my hair was behaving better.  I purchased it at Sephora, so check it out if you’re plagued by unruly hair!

Okay, I hope this post has been helpful.  I have a busy weekend planned so be sure to check back soon!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s